Information Security News mailing list archives

Crackers fell Cabinet Office Web site

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 16:42:15 -0500

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/000713/22/ad0uj.html

Thursday July 13, 5:15 PM

Security isn't tight at the centre of UK government

Crackers brought down the Cabinet Office's Web site Thursday, defacing
the site and forcing its hosting company to take it off line.

A cabinet office spokesman says that, to his knowledge, the attack was
not politically motivated and describes the message posted on the site
home page as nothing more than a "silly note".

"Everything possible is being done by the company involved and Cabinet
Office staff to remedy the situation," he says.

The spokesman admits that, as a prominent government Internet
destination, the Cabinet Office Web site is constantly being targeted
by computer attackers.

"There have been hacking attacks in the past but we've been able to
fend them off," he says. "We obviously take security very seriously
and it is constantly under review."

"Communications without intelligence is noise;
Intelligence without communications is irrelevant."
Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC