Interesting People mailing list archives

The Pentagon's Push to Program Soldiers' Brains

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 19:48:12 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: October 15, 2018 at 7:42:41 PM GMT+9
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] The Pentagon's Push to Program Soldiers' Brains

The Pentagon’s Push to Program Soldiers’ Brains
The military wants future super-soldiers to control robots with their thoughts.
By MICHAEL JOSEPH GROSS
Nov 2018 Issue
<https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/11/the-pentagon-wants-to-weaponize-the-brain-what-could-go-wrong/570841/>

I. Who Could Object?

“Tonight I would like to share with you an idea that I am extremely passionate about,” the young man said. His long
black hair was swept back like a rock star’s, or a gangster’s. “Think about this,” he continued. “Throughout all
human history, the way that we have expressed our intent, the way we have expressed our goals, the way we have
expressed our desires, has been limited by our bodies.” When he inhaled, his rib cage expanded and filled out the
fabric of his shirt. Gesturing toward his body, he said, “We are born into this world with this. Whatever nature or
luck has given us.”

His speech then took a turn: “Now, we’ve had a lot of interesting tools over the years, but fundamentally the way
that we work with those tools is through our bodies.” Then a further turn: “Here’s a situation that I know all of you
know very well—your frustration with your smartphones, right? This is another tool, right? And we are still
communicating with these tools through our bodies.”

And then it made a leap: “I would claim to you that these tools are not so smart. And maybe one of the reasons why
they’re not so smart is because they’re not connected to our brains. Maybe if we could hook those devices into our
brains, they could have some idea of what our goals are, what our intent is, and what our frustration is.”

So began “Beyond Bionics,” a talk by Justin C. Sanchez, then an associate professor of biomedical engineering and
neuroscience at the University of Miami, and a faculty member of the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis. He was speaking
at a tedx conference in Florida in 2012. What lies beyond bionics? Sanchez described his work as trying to
“understand the neural code,” which would involve putting “very fine microwire electrodes”—the diameter of a human
hair—“into the brain.” When we do that, he said, we would be able to “listen in to the music of the brain” and
“listen in to what somebody’s motor intent might be” and get a glimpse of “your goals and your rewards” and then
“start to understand how the brain encodes behavior.”

He explained, “With all of this knowledge, what we’re trying to do is build new medical devices, new implantable
chips for the body that can be encoded or programmed with all of these different aspects. Now, you may be wondering,
what are we going to do with those chips? Well, the first recipients of these kinds of technologies will be the
paralyzed. It would make me so happy by the end of my career if I could help get somebody out of their wheelchair.”

Sanchez went on, “The people that we are trying to help should never be imprisoned by their bodies. And today we can
design technologies that can help liberate them from that. I’m truly inspired by that. It drives me every day when I
wake up and get out of bed. Thank you so much.” He blew a kiss to the audience.

A year later, Justin Sanchez went to work for the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, the Pentagon’s R&D
department. At DARPA, he now oversees all research on the healing and enhancement of the human mind and body. And his
ambition involves more than helping get disabled people out of their wheelchair—much more.

DARPA has dreamed for decades of merging human beings and machines. Some years ago, when the prospect of
mind-controlled weapons became a public-relations liability for the agency, officials resorted to characteristic
ingenuity. They recast the stated purpose of their neurotechnology research to focus ostensibly on the narrow goal of
healing injury and curing illness. The work wasn’t about weaponry or warfare, agency officials claimed. It was about
therapy and health care. Who could object? But even if this claim were true, such changes would have extensive
ethical, social, and metaphysical implications. Within decades, neurotechnology could cause social disruption on a
scale that would make smartphones and the internet look like gentle ripples on the pond of history.

Most unsettling, neurotechnology confounds age-old answers to this question: What is a human being?

II. High Risk, High Reward

In his 1958 State of the Union address, President Dwight Eisenhower declared that the United States of America “must
be forward-looking in our research and development to anticipate the unimagined weapons of the future.” A few weeks
later, his administration created the Advanced Research Projects Agency, a bureaucratically independent body that
reported to the secretary of defense. This move had been prompted by the Soviet launch of the Sputnik satellite. The
agency’s original remit was to hasten America’s entry into space.

During the next few years, arpa’s mission grew to encompass research into “man-computer symbiosis” and a classified
program of experiments in mind control that was code-named Project Pandora. There were bizarre efforts that involved
trying to move objects at a distance by means of thought alone. In 1972, with an increment of candor, the word
Defense was added to the name, and the agency became DARPA. Pursuing its mission, DARPA funded researchers who helped
invent technologies that changed the nature of battle (stealth aircraft, drones) and shaped daily life for billions
(voice-recognition technology, GPS devices). Its best-known creation is the internet.

The agency’s penchant for what it calls “high-risk, high-reward” research ensured that it would also fund a cavalcade
of folly. Project Seesaw, a quintessential Cold War boondoggle, envisioned a “particle-beam weapon” that could be
deployed in the event of a Soviet attack. The idea was to set off a series of nuclear explosions beneath the Great
Lakes, creating a giant underground chamber. Then the lakes would be drained, in a period of 15 minutes, to generate
the electricity needed to set off a particle beam. The beam would accelerate through tunnels hundreds of miles long
(also carved out by underground nuclear explosions) in order to muster enough force to shoot up into the atmosphere
and knock incoming Soviet missiles out of the sky. During the Vietnam War, DARPA tried to build a Cybernetic
Anthropomorphous Machine, a jungle vehicle that officials called a “mechanical elephant.”

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp