Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Report: Software bug led to death in Uber's self-driving crash

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 17:24:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross.stapletongray () gmail com>
Date: May 8, 2018 at 5:21:19 PM EDT
To: DAVID FARBER <dave () farber net>, Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Report: Software bug led to death in Uber's self-driving crash

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 2:08 PM, Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com> wrote:

I've been to "V2*" (connected Vehicle to anything) gatherings in which both Caltrans (the California state
transportation agency) and it's Federal counterpart have described systems in which people on bicycles and
pedestrians carry devices - typically part of a smart phone - that can emit information to nearby vehicles
(including other bicycles and pedestrians.)

I wrote this for IoT Journal back in September: http://www.iotjournal.com/articles/view?16661

At some point, however, we're going to start seeing tipping points, at which enough smarts in the objects and the
infrastructure will make those unsmart things that remain more the anomaly than the norm. I wonder if it isn't too
soon to be thinking about a need to enroll people in the so-called Internet of Things, to put people on a par with
the toasters and the Teslas.

Right now we're in a phase where all vehicle/people encounters feature "noncooperative" interrogation of the
environment and other entities, but somewhere down the road (so to speak) everything's talking to everything else (or
at least so many other things are also seeing uninstrumented you that everyone's aware of you).

Lots of privacy issues, of course, as what you'd want to make this maximally useful for navigation would be to have
humans not only broadcast or share "Where I am," but "Where I am likely headed," which one can distill from things
like past behavior, contact lists, calendars, inertial measurement.

And some folks will confirm that I was also suggesting, last fall, that someone could easily succeed with a
Kickstarter campaign to make and sell hats, shirts & stickers for helmets, bike frames, boots, etc., that would be
maximally visible in various spectra, recognizing that we're in that not-yet-all-communicating phase and will be for
some time.

Ross

Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.
Albany, CA