Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Report: Software bug led to death in Uber's self-driving crash

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 17:08:58 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: May 8, 2018 at 5:00:41 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () listbox com>, bob.hinden () gmail com
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Report: Software bug led to death in Uber's self-driving crash

Begin forwarded message:
*From:* Bob Hinden <bob.hinden () gmail com <mailto:bob.hinden () gmail com>>

I wonder if bicyclists and pedestrians are going to need to start wearing radar reflectors, like we put reflective
material on bike gear, shoes, backpacks, etc. currently.  Clearly a market opportunity….

I've been to "V2*" (connected Vehicle to anything) gatherings in which both Caltrans (the California state
transportation agency) and it's Federal counterpart have described systems in which people on bicycles and
pedestrians carry devices - typically part of a smart phone - that can emit information to nearby vehicles (including
other bicycles and pedestrians.)

I've noticed, however, that the connected vehicle community does seem to have a kind of color blindness that does not
let them perceive that there are other media than radio (including wi-fi.)

By-the-way, last time I heard, the section of El Camino Real through Palo Alto and Mountain View, California, is a
testbed for this kind of stuff.

   --karl--

--
This message was sent to the list address and trashed, but can be found online.
at https://www.listbox.com/login/messages/view/20180508170047:E007F59C-5302-11E8-8383-F2D61CBD10E3