Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Computer science faces an ethics crisis. The Cambridge Analytica scandal proves it. - The Boston Globe

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 18:16:38 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Gilmore <gnu () toad com>
Date: March 24, 2018 at 5:51:49 PM EDT
To: farber () gmail com, gnu () toad com
Subject: Re: [IP] Computer science faces an ethics crisis. The Cambridge Analytica scandal proves it. - The Boston
Globe

computer science has not yet come to terms with the responsibility
that comes with building things which so profoundly affect people's lives.

Only 24 years ago, John Perry Barlow keynoted the USENIX conference and said:

 I know that when I've talked to computer audiences in times past
 I've had a continuous question and complaint from people in the room
 who say, "Well, you know, you want me to behave as though I were a
 social philosopher and, actually what I do is bus architecture."
 Well, exactly. I don't think you can expect the social philosophers
 to understand bus architecture very well for a while either. So the
 job falls to you and the people who understand the basic nature of
 this very different environment.

 https://www.eff.org/pages/stopping-information-railroad

I hope we all continue to learn how to combine social philosophy
with bus architecture.  Thanks, Dave, for mixing both in I-P.

   John