Interesting People mailing list archives

Tim Berners-Lee: we must regulate tech firms to prevent 'weaponised' web

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 21:56:23 -0400

There got to be a better way! Just imaging the FWC (Federal Web Commission

Dave

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: March 11, 2018 at 9:39:03 PM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] Tim Berners-Lee: we must regulate tech firms to prevent 'weaponised' web

Tim Berners-Lee: we must regulate tech firms to prevent 'weaponised' web
The inventor of the world wide web warns over concentration of power among a few companies ‘controlling which ideas
are shared’
By Olivia Solon
Mar 11 2018
<https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/11/tim-berners-lee-tech-companies-regulations>

Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the world wide web, has called for large technology firms to be regulated to prevent
the web from being “weaponised at scale”.

“In recent years, we’ve seen conspiracy theories trend on social media platforms, fake Twitter and Facebook accounts
stoke social tensions, external actors interfere in elections, and criminals steal troves of personal data,”
Berners-Lee wrote in an open letter marking the 29th anniversary of his invention.

These problems have proliferated because of the concentration of power in the hands of a few platforms – including
Facebook, Google, and Twitter – which “control which ideas and opinions are seen and shared”.

“What was once a rich selection of blogs and websites has been compressed under the powerful weight of a few dominant
platforms,” said the 62-year-old British computer scientist.

These online gatekeepers can lock in their power by acquiring smaller rivals, buying up new innovations and hiring
the industry’s top talent, making it harder for others to compete, he said.

Google now accounts for about 87% of online searches worldwide. Facebook has more than 2.2 billion monthly active
users – more than 20 times more than MySpace at its peak. Together, the two companies (including their subsidiaries
Instagram and YouTube) slurp up more than 60% of digital advertising spend worldwide.

Although the companies are aware of the problems and have made efforts to fix them – developing systems to tackle
fake news, bots and influence operations – they have been built to “maximise profit more than maximise social good”.

“A legal or regulatory framework that accounts for social objectives may help ease those tensions,” he said.

Aligning the incentives of the technology sector with those of users and society at large, he argued, will require
consulting a diverse group of people from business, government, civil society, academia and the arts.

Berners-Lee warned of “two myths” that “limit our collective imagination” when looking for solutions to the problems
facing the web: “The myth that advertising is the only possible business model for online companies, and the myth
that it’s too late to change the way platforms operate. On both points we need to be a little more creative,” he said.

“I want the web to reflect our hopes and fulfil our dreams, rather than magnify our fears and deepen our divisions,”
he said.

The open letter coincides with a significant milestone: 2018 is the first year that more than half of the world’s
population will be online.

This still leaves a gaping “digital divide” that exacerbates existing inequalities: you are more likely to be offline
if you are female, poor, or live in a rural area or a low-income country.

“To be offline today is to be excluded from opportunities to learn and earn, to access valuable services, and to
participate in democratic debate,” Berners-Lee said. “If we do not invest seriously in closing this gap, the last
billion will not be connected until 2042. That’s an entire generation left behind.”

Two years ago, the UN declared internet access to be a basic human right on par with clean water, shelter, food and
electricity. However, in many places, getting online is prohibitively expensive – the cost of 1GB of mobile broadband
in Malawi is more than 20% of the average monthly income. In Zimbabwe, it is nearly 45%.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp