Interesting People mailing list archives

YouTube, the Great Radicalizer

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 16:18:43 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Date: March 11, 2018 at 11:49:50 AM EDT
To: Multiple recipients of Dewayne-Net <dewayne-net () warpspeed com>
Subject: [Dewayne-Net] YouTube, the Great Radicalizer

[Note:  This item comes from friend David Rosenthal.  DLH]

YouTube, the Great Radicalizer
By Zeynep Tufekci
Mar 10 2018
<https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/10/opinion/sunday/youtube-politics-radical.html>

At one point during the 2016 presidential election campaign, I watched a bunch of videos of Donald Trump rallies on
YouTube. I was writing an article about his appeal to his voter base and wanted to confirm a few quotations.

Soon I noticed something peculiar. YouTube started to recommend and “autoplay” videos for me that featured white
supremacist rants, Holocaust denials and other disturbing content.

Since I was not in the habit of watching extreme right-wing fare on YouTube, I was curious whether this was an
exclusively right-wing phenomenon. So I created another YouTube account and started watching videos of Hillary
Clinton and Bernie Sanders, letting YouTube’s recommender algorithm take me wherever it would.

Before long, I was being directed to videos of a leftish conspiratorial cast, including arguments about the existence
of secret government agencies and allegations that the United States government was behind the attacks of Sept. 11.
As with the Trump videos, YouTube was recommending content that was more and more extreme than the mainstream
political fare I had started with.

Intrigued, I experimented with nonpolitical topics. The same basic pattern emerged. Videos about vegetarianism led to
videos about veganism. Videos about jogging led to videos about running ultramarathons.

It seems as if you are never “hard core” enough for YouTube’s recommendation algorithm. It promotes, recommends and
disseminates videos in a manner that appears to constantly up the stakes. Given its billion or so users, YouTube may
be one of the most powerful radicalizing instruments of the 21st century.

This is not because a cabal of YouTube engineers is plotting to drive the world off a cliff. A more likely
explanation has to do with the nexus of artificial intelligence and Google’s business model. (YouTube is owned by
Google.) For all its lofty rhetoric, Google is an advertising broker, selling our attention to companies that will
pay for it. The longer people stay on YouTube, the more money Google makes.

What keeps people glued to YouTube? Its algorithm seems to have concluded that people are drawn to content that is
more extreme than what they started with — or to incendiary content in general.

Is this suspicion correct? Good data is hard to come by; Google is loath to share information with independent
researchers. But we now have the first inklings of confirmation, thanks in part to a former Google engineer named
Guillaume Chaslot.

Mr. Chaslot worked on the recommender algorithm while at YouTube. He grew alarmed at the tactics used to increase the
time people spent on the site. Google fired him in 2013, citing his job performance. He maintains the real reason was
that he pushed too hard for changes in how the company handles such issues.

The Wall Street Journal conducted an investigation of YouTube content with the help of Mr. Chaslot. It found that
YouTube often “fed far-right or far-left videos to users who watched relatively mainstream news sources,” and that
such extremist tendencies were evident with a wide variety of material. If you searched for information on the flu
vaccine, you were recommended anti-vaccination conspiracy videos.

It is also possible that YouTube’s recommender algorithm has a bias toward inflammatory content. In the run-up to the
2016 election, Mr. Chaslot created a program to keep track of YouTube’s most recommended videos as well as its
patterns of recommendations. He discovered that whether you started with a pro-Clinton or pro-Trump video on YouTube,
you were many times more likely to end up with a pro-Trump video recommended.

[snip]

Dewayne-Net RSS Feed: http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/feed/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/wa8dzp