Interesting People mailing list archives

Reply from EFF ON Brett comment on Barlow

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 03:57:29 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: cindy <cindy () eff org>
Date: March 28, 2018 at 12:58:00 AM GMT+9
To: Dave Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Reply from EFF ON Brett comment on Barlow

Hi Dave,

I’m sure your readers are all tired of this back-and-forth between Brett and EFF, so I’ll end it here, with a few
responsive facts.

First, though, since this all started because of Barlow, please invite your list to a Barlow Symposium that we’re
hosting with the Freedom of the Press Foundation on August 7 at the Internet Archive in San Francisco from 2-6.  We
have a terrific lineup of speakers, including Mitch Kapor, Joi Ito, Cory Doctorow and Ed Snowden, to celebrate
Barlow’s ideas that helped shaped the Internet. More information here, along with a terrific illustration of JPB by
our own Hugh D’Andrade.

Now to briefly respond:

1.  It's extraordinarily misleading to call "cy pres” settlements a donation from Google or anyone else.  They are
court-ordered payments — a kind of fine that a judge orders a company to pay because of wrongdoing. Cy pres awards
were affirmed as a tool in class action settlements here in California by the Supreme Court in 1986, before the
creation of the World Wide Web, and have been long used across the country long before tech privacy was even a thing.
 As the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals noted, cy pres is awarded to: “ensure the defendant does not walk away from
the litigation scot-free because of the infeasibility of distributing the proceeds of the settlement.”  EFF has been
chosen as a recipient because, as one court confirmed, it is "a global nonprofit whose mission is to defend consumer
civil liberties in the digital world, including digital consumer protection.”  (citations available on request).
Awards to EFF in digital privacy cases have been reviewed and upheld by the Seventh, Eighth and Ninth Circuits as
well as district courts across the country. There's a reason why allegations that cy pres is some kind of "secret
slush fund" have never gotten much traction: they are wrong.

2. As for those tobacco communications that Brett mentions, you can see in the article that they are from 1994, over
twenty four years ago when EFF was based in DC.  That’s hardly a fair criticism of how EFF operates now.  Again, for
those who want a clear look at our current financials, they are here. 2017 should be ready within a month or so, as
soon as our regularly scheduled independent audit is complete.

3.  Brett links to a report about academics funded by Google by the oddly nontransparent Campaign for Transparency.
Oracle appears to be the chief funder behind it.  The report chiefly points out the that EFF often hosts Google
Fellows, who generally receive a small stipend from Google to spend a summer with us, but whose work we choose and
oversee.  This report has been roundly criticized as sloppy. I do agree that there is important work to be done in
tracking when academic research is driven by corporate money, but sadly this report was not it.

4.  Most importantly, if you want to know what EFF really stands for and who it works for, look at what we do every
day.  You'll see us agreeing
with Google when they do the right thing, and going after them when they do the wrong thing.  Same with Facebook,
Apple, and most other big
companies.  We are uncompromising with our stand on digital freedom, and never play favorites.  We fight for the
users.  And if you follow our
work, you'll see that to be true.

Cindy

***********************************