Interesting People mailing list archives

And see next note Reply from EFF ON Brett comment on Barlow

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 03:57:21 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Date: March 26, 2018 at 4:10:51 AM GMT+9
To: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Reply from EFF ON Brett comment on Barlow

Why don’t you abstract the main points you want to make Rather than point bunch of papers. It will have much more
impact

On Mar 25, 2018, at 1:16 PM, Brett Glass <brett () lariat net> wrote:

[Dave: Sending this one more time. It's new material, and I think it is only fair that I be allowed to cite
reputable sources that provide valuable information and useful insights into EFF's activities. I think that you will
agree that think tanks and lobbying groups, including EFF, which receive tax exemptions and claim to be operating
for the public good should be subject to public scrutiny to ensure that they remain true to their purported public
service missions. --Brett]

Dave, and everyone:

documents that may be of interest. These documents describe cy pres settlements and in-kind contributions (e.g.
funding of the salaries of "fellows") worth millions of dollars, none of which are attributed to Google in EFF's
public disclosures or in the message cited in the subject line above.

I have also included a link to an article describing EFF's communications with another company - tobacco giant R.J.
Reynolds - soliciting its support (and citing dollar amounts required!) for efforts to protect tobacco advertising
on the Internet. I invite readers of the list to review the materials at these links and draw their own conclusions.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/08/supreme_court_asked_to_mull_legality_of_silicon_valley_privacy_slush_funds/

http://fortune.com/2012/07/30/google-and-facebooks-new-tactic-in-the-tech-wars/

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409070,00.asp

https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/29/2012_statement_of_activities.pdf