Interesting People mailing list archives

The Crucial Next Few Days In the EU's Copyright Filter and Link Tax Battle

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2018 09:21:42 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: July 1, 2018 at 07:37:11 GMT+9
To: nnsquad () nnsquad org
Subject: [ NNSquad ] The Crucial Next Few Days In the EU's Copyright Filter and Link Tax Battle

The Crucial Next Few Days In the EU's Copyright Filter and Link Tax Battle

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/06/crucial-next-few-days-eus-copyright-filter-and-link-tax-battle

     That vote marked the last chance for the
   democratically-elected members of the European Parliament
   (MEPs) to submit fixes to the directive -- under the usual
   procedures. But this is not an ordinary regulation, and there
   still remains a couple of unusual procedures that would let
   them throw out these disastrous two articles.  The first of
   these happens next week. Generally, the text agreed by the
   JURI committee would immediately become the basis of a
   "Trilogue" negotiation between the Parliament, the European
   Commission (the EU's executive) and the European Council
   (representatives of its member states). What comes out of that
   negotiation becomes EU law -- and with the JURI vote, all
   three groups have agreed to include copyright filters and link
   taxes in the final directive.  However, given the controversy
   over the directive's contents, we expect some MEPs will invoke
   "Rule 69(c)" next week. That would lead to a vote of the full
   Parliament on the JURI text as a negotiating mandate, probably
   on July 5th.

- - -

ALSO: "Why We May Have to Cut Europe Off from the Internet" -

https://lauren.vortex.com/2018/06/08/why-we-may-have-to-cut-europe-off-from-the-internet