Interesting People mailing list archives

re HHS Plans to Delete 20 Years of Critical Medical Guidelines Next Week

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 16:42:12 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Hasan Diwan <hasan.diwan () gmail com>
Date: July 16, 2018 at 15:53:42 GMT+9
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] re HHS Plans to Delete 20 Years of Critical Medical Guidelines Next Week

Prof Farber,
[for IP, should you so deem and comments inline]

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Holland <frenchy () gmail com>
Date: July 16, 2018 at 13:00:18 GMT+9
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>

Hi Dave,

For IP if you wish.

Is the title of the article misleadingly alarmist or are they literally looking to actually "delete" data? I get
that it might go "offline", but why would need to "delete" anything? Can't we just keep-around all the data until
such time we might be able to bring it back online?

The article points out that NGC was operating on $1.2 million a year, which seems like very little money in the
first place. It sounds like costs associated with the site are comprised of two things:

- operational cost of editorial "gate-keeping" for the addition of new guidelines, to keep-away
financially-motivated guidelines
- operational cost of running the site itself ... I imagine servers ... bandwidth ... IT costs ...

From the article:

"Nix estimates that the site would cost a “few hundred thousand” dollars per year to maintain even as a static
archive."

A static archive would be a decent start, but I'd hate to lose the ability to add new knowledge to the base.
Speaking of knowledge ... could Google be potentially be a logical fit to support this effort? It seems
well-aligned with many initiatives they've undertaken to promote the sharing of information in the World.

Putting it in the hands of a private corporation, like Google, is not acceptable. No matter how well-aligned it is
with the "many initiatives they've undertaken to promote the sharing of information in the World".

Our priorities should be:

1) Keep the site online, at least as an archive, and I think that any tech giant should be able to facilitate this.
2) Find ways to fund its on-going editorial operations, while finding ways to ensure that they remain as unbiased
as possible, especially guarding against financial & political motivations.
Do members of this list think that Googe can guard against financial and political motivations, especially given that
it needs to report numbers to Wall Street every quarter?

A better suitor would be the Wikimedia foundation or, a new entity. But again, this has its problems. Or what about
the European Union, or the United Nations? -- H

--
I’m not sure that I would trust any of the current political entities djf