Interesting People mailing list archives

re HHS Plans to Delete 20 Years of Critical Medical Guidelines Next Week

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 13:29:06 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Holland <frenchy () gmail com>
Date: July 16, 2018 at 13:00:18 GMT+9
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] HHS Plans to Delete 20 Years of Critical Medical Guidelines Next Week

Hi Dave,

For IP if you wish.

Is the title of the article misleadingly alarmist or are they literally looking to actually "delete" data? I get that
it might go "offline", but why would need to "delete" anything? Can't we just keep-around all the data until such
time we might be able to bring it back online?

The article points out that NGC was operating on $1.2 million a year, which seems like very little money in the first
place. It sounds like costs associated with the site are comprised of two things:

- operational cost of editorial "gate-keeping" for the addition of new guidelines, to keep-away financially-motivated
guidelines
- operational cost of running the site itself ... I imagine servers ... bandwidth ... IT costs ...

From the article:

"Nix estimates that the site would cost a “few hundred thousand” dollars per year to maintain even as a static
archive."

A static archive would be a decent start, but I'd hate to lose the ability to add new knowledge to the base. Speaking
of knowledge ... could Google be potentially be a logical fit to support this effort? It seems well-aligned with many
initiatives they've undertaken to promote the sharing of information in the World.

Our priorities should be:

1) Keep the site online, at least as an archive, and I think that any tech giant should be able to facilitate this.
2) Find ways to fund its on-going editorial operations, while finding ways to ensure that they remain as unbiased as
possible, especially guarding against financial & political motivations.

-chris