Interesting People mailing list archives

Re North Carolina is no longer classified as a democracy

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 06:34:07 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby () henkel-wallace org>
Date: January 3, 2018 at 3:49:16 AM EST
To: John Day <jeanjour () comcast net>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re North Carolina is no longer classified as a democracy

From: John Day <jeanjour () comcast net>
Date: Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 8:21 PM

Perhaps someone should clue them in that the US was never intended to be a democracy.

True, but so what?  Those guys aren't around any more and the country's ideals have evolved.  Its what the current
citizens want that matters, and I think most people in the US say they would like to live in a democracy (and
presumably most would say they do -- let's not argue about that point in this message).  They wanted wealthy
landowners to select and populate the upper house, but people happily changed that.

TCP doesn't look like RFC 793 any more and the end-to-end principle seems to sadly have been unceremoniously chucked
overboard -- but I'm going to follow the newer RFCs and not ask Int Perf what he was thinking in 1974.

Likewise looking at original definitions and intents is useful_as input_ when helping to figure out the "baselines"
or common understanding (e.g. how free should free speech be) but at the end of the day it has to bow to the truth on
the ground.