Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: Fwd: Re FreePress is suing the FCC. Here's how the process works.

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 22:21:42 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Joe Touch <touch () strayalpha com>
Date: Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd: [IP] Re FreePress is suing the FCC. Here's how the
process works.
To: <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () listbox com>

Hi, all,

On 1/1/2018 2:54 PM, Dave Farber wrote:
I agree with Bob Shulman that 1Mbps is woefully low for any estimate
of “useful bandwidth” to an individual, much less to a home.

My measures are based on interactive "click" latency of 20-100ms to load
a web page and its associated images, at the resolution of the
displaying device and came up with the diagram here over 20 years ago:
https://www.isi.edu/lowlat/requirements.html

It suggested users with 72 DPI screens (still common) would be happy
browsing the web or interacting with video at around 45 Mbps (shown as
T3, as many of us have today). Push that to "retina" levels (300 DPI)
and it stats to approach "government gigabit" (600 Mbps) quickly.

At 1 Mbps, the only thing you're doing interactively is likely text.

Joe

--
This message was sent to the list address and trashed, but can be found
online.