Interesting People mailing list archives

Fwd: Reporter re: Technical solution for robust interconnection if Russia & BRICs set own root?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 22:22:57 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Joe Touch <touch () strayalpha com>
Date: Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: Reporter re: Technical solution for robust interconnection if
Russia & BRICs set own root?
To: Dave Burstein <daveb () dslprime com>, Ted Hardie <ted.ietf () gmail com>, <
ietf () ietf org>

On 1/2/2018 1:54 PM, Dave Burstein wrote:

Ted

I'm a network guy, not a DNS/TCP/etc geek, which is why I reached out.

re: RFC 2826 requirement for a "globally unique public name space," I would
think that could have several different technical solutions beyond a single
root. The Google & Amazon clouds and worldwide distributed databases show
many possibilities, I would think.  Two occur to this layman:

Roots that regularly update each other, so that both have the same data.

Which one is authoritative when they disagree? I.e., which root is allowed
to add entries?

If it's always ICANN's, then you have just a root cache. That's not an
issue.

If it's ever the other root, then you end up with the problem in that RFC
of having multiple name spaces.

Joe