Interesting People mailing list archives

Re NY Times falls for DHS "fake news" on REAL-ID and ID to fly

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 23:19:53 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: John Levine <johnl () iecc com>
Date: Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 6:11 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re NY Times falls for DHS "fake news" on REAL-ID and ID
to fly
To: <dave () farber net>

In article <CAKx4trhk=3CNcWgQLPd6RZA=nK5g_Sy5T0TVU+8Ebcxq0HP=
2Q () mail gmail com> you write:
I don't understand the article's statements about California being unable
to issue REAL-ID driver's licenses.  I am in the process of renewing my
California license, and the DMV is offering me the *option* of a REAL-ID
compliant license (new as of January 22).  The DMV also states:

(https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/realid)

"There is no need to rush into a DMV field office. A valid California
driver license or ID card can be used to board a commercial flight or
enter secure federal facilities until October 1, 2020."

This is the DHS playing an endless game of chicken with the states, by
sending out endless misleading threats by press release.

Imagine you are at LAX or SFO or LGA or JFK some morning, and the
blue-clad people say sorry, folks, if you have a NY or CA license, you
cannot fly.  Go home.  Or if you insist, we can go through the no-id
process which will take 15 minutes per person, which means that the
people at the end of the line will be processed approximately three
days from now.

How many milliseconds would it take for every congressman's and
senator's office to be swamped with outraged phone calls?  How many
minutes would it take for the TSA to back down?

I think we can all safely ignore the Real ID threats forever.

R's,
John