Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Cockamamie #broadband pricing from #Cox.

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 22:17:12 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Doc Searls <doc () searls com>
Date: Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 9:33 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Cockamamie #broadband pricing from #Cox.
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
CC: ip <ip () listbox com>

I’m a Cox customer in Santa Barbara. When I talked to a Cox support person
 about this new pricing scheme, she said it was all about gamers. It’s
gamers alone that use by far the most data, and while they are a small
wedge of the customer pie, their usage patterns are so significantly large
that the company felt it needed to come up with a way to address their
level of use with higher fees that wouldn’t affect even the normal
customers who are relatively large users of data.

Even if one watches lots of Netflix, she said, or watches one’s home set
top box through a Sling system (which we do more often than we watch the
same box at home), one is unlikely to go above 1Tb/mo. I’ve watched our
usage on  the Cox website, and that seems to be the case.

When I asked whether they thought about coming up with a plan just for
gamers, she said something like, “that wouldn’t be neutral.”

In New York, where we have the apartment we’re in now, we’re connected by
Spectrum (née Time Warner Cable). There are no data limits, and the
cognitive overhead is much lower than with Cox. And that to me is the real
issue with Cox’s data usage fee structure.

FWIW, I would gladly pay a lot more for as much upstream as I have
downstream here in NYC (320Mb/s). That way I could store more data offsite
and do more work in various clouds.

Given how big a deal clouds are, and how poorly the personal gear makers
(primarily Apple, Google and Microsoft) have addressed the need easily to
store and catalog the large amounts of data their gear would like to
generate (e.g. 4k video on iPhones and Androids), you’d think the carriers
might address that market need somehow. (Come to think of it, I’m surprised
that Amazon hasn’t found a way to bundle upstream connections into AWS as a
feature of the all-consuming Prime.)

Doc