Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Philadelphia smears Crisco on lampposts to deter Super Bowl fans. How did we come to this? | Cities | The Guardian

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 14:36:52 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross.stapletongray () gmail com>
Date: February 2, 2018 at 12:30:54 PM EST
To: DAVID FARBER <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Philadelphia smears Crisco on lampposts to deter Super Bowl fans. How did we come to this? |
Cities | The Guardian

There might be a helpful analog in how Detroit has dealt with "Devil's Night" as a phenomenon. When I was a kid,
growing up in the Detroit 'burbs, the night before Halloween was when you'd TP the neighbors' houses, soap their
windows, and otherwise commit mild-grade mayhem. At some point, in the City, it evolved to arson, with hundreds of
fires set that night each year. That led to the creation of an "Angel's Night" community response, and it sounds like
there's been a serious decline in arson events. I don't know as anywhere else in the country observes a comparable
"pre-Halloween" tradition (and in the case of Detroit, I would guess that the collapsing economy, producing abandoned
houses, was a contributor to the arson phase).

At least one book was written on Devil's Night: https://www.amazon.com/Devils-Night-Other-Tales-Detroit/dp/0804171408

And Wikipedia discusses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Night

Ross

Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.