Interesting People mailing list archives

Re NYTimes: Why Silicon Valley Shouldn’t Work With the Pentagon

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 19:39:39 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ross Stapleton-Gray <ross.stapletongray () gmail com>
Date: April 19, 2018 at 7:25:10 PM EDT
To: DAVID FARBER <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] NYTimes: Why Silicon Valley Shouldn’t Work With the Pentagon

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 11:42 AM, Dave Farber <farber () gmail com> wrote:
Here's a story from The New York Times that I thought you'd find interesting:
Our technology sector is good at innovation precisely because it is not dominated by the state.

As someone who cut his doctoral teeth on Soviet Cold War IT R&D and who was into the U.S. intel community around the
time the Internet became that post-ARPANET Internet, I think this is a pretty weak analysis, and its fears of major
U.S. military influence over U.S. tech hugely overblown. What has been driving U.S. tech R&D and commercialization
has been the consumer dollar, and as much as the DoD spends, it's not going to really move the needle compared to
many, many other parties.

I've actually been looking to marry up SF Bay area companies with opportunities for federal R&D funding, as well as
having looked at one of the "feeder" areas (availability of data to support cybersecurity R&D) and am pretty amazed
at how poorly the federal R&D processes seem to be managed, e.g., DARPA has just announced (like, yesterday) a new
solicitation for "human-in-the-loop" machine-learning/AI and cybersecurity vulnerabilities (a program called CHESS,
"Computers and Humans Exploring Software Security"), but wants executive summaries within two weeks, and full
proposals in two months.  How are inventors and smaller companies going to have enough runway to develop a credible
proposal within such a window?  I contacted 3-4 companies for the DARPA Active Social Engineering Defense (ASED)
program, all of which expressed some interest in a proposal, and all of which abandoned the idea because they just
wouldn't have had the time to respond.

I'd be happy to help do something in the way of federal/private sector impedance matching for federal R&D grants, but
I worry that it's not as often as it ought to be money well spent.

I also think the availability of venture funding is edging out the perceived value of federal R&D money.  While the
DARPA money you might get will be "nondiluting" (i.e., a grant, and not an investment take a share in the company),
CHESS won't kick into gear until November (so, proposals due mid-May, but then you wait nearly half a year), while
venture funds are throwing $10M chunks at start-ups at a rather rapid pace. If you want to get into [tech with
possible military application] and don't also pursue the venture-funding route, you'll fund yourself a months behind
those that do. (And news of this past month was Softbank's investment of $300M in Wag, a start-up brokering dog
walking and kenneling services... it's not as absolutely crazy as the previous dot-com bubble, but seriously...
that's got to be on a part with what DARPA will spend on IT-related R&D this coming year...)

Ross

Stapleton-Gray & Associates, Inc.
Albany, CA