Interesting People mailing list archives

Securing Wireless Neurostimulators

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 19:31:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: bill manning <azuremesa () gmail com>
Date: April 17, 2018 at 7:17:38 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com

for IP if you wish.

Securing Wireless Neurostimulators
Implantable medical devices (IMDs) typically rely on proprietary protocols to wirelessly communicate with external
device program- mers. In this paper, we fully reverse engineer the proprietary pro- tocol between a device programmer
and a widely used commercial neurostimulator from one of the leading IMD manufacturers. For the reverse engineering,
we follow a black-box approach and use in- expensive hardware equipment. We document the message format and the
protocol state-machine, and show that the transmissions sent over the air are neither encrypted nor authenticated.
Further- more, we conduct several software radio-based attacks that could compromise the safety and privacy of
patients, and investigate the feasibility of performing these attacks in real scenarios.

https://www.esat.kuleuven.be/cosic/publications/article-2803.pdf