Interesting People mailing list archives

Is Science Hitting a Wall? Part 2

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 19:05:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Date: April 17, 2018 at 5:02:35 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>
Cc: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Subject: Is Science Hitting a Wall? Part 2

Dave, here's a followup to my recent column on science's diminishing returns. It introduces the term Eroom's Law,
Moore's backward. John Horgan

Is Science Hitting a Wall? Part 2

Analysis of drug research identifies causes of declining returns, like the better than the Beatles problem, and a
possible solution.

My last post, “Is Science Hitting a Wall?,” provoked lots of reactions. Some readers sent me other writings about
diminishing returns from research. One is “Diagnosing the decline in pharmaceutical R&D efficiency,” published in
Nature Reviews in 2012. The paper is so clever, loaded with ideas and relevant to science as a whole that I’m
summarizing its main points here.

Eroom’s Law. The paper notes that “the number of new drugs approved per billion U.S. dollars spent on R&D has halved
roughly every 9 years since 1950.” The authors, Jack Scannell and three other British investment analysts, call this
trend “Eroom’s Law,” which is Moore’s Law flipped over. Moore’s Law is Gordon’s Moore’s famous observation about the
growing power of computer chips.

Eroom’s Law might hold for many fields other than drug development. As my previous column notes, Eroom’s Law holds
even for computer chips, because upholding Moore’s Law has required more and more resources. Scannell et al identify
four factors underpinning Eroom’s Law. Here they are, with brief explanations...

Continue at https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/is-science-hitting-a-wall-part-2/