Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Whois is dead as Europe hands DNS overlord ICANN its arse

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 01:04:20 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <jonathan.s.shapiro () gmail com>
Date: April 16, 2018 at 12:59:26 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Whois is dead as Europe hands DNS overlord ICANN its arse

There is a presumption in the cited discussion that WHOIS queries are somehow adversarial in nature. I suspect that
the far more common case is people looking up registrants in order to make offers to purchase. We made such an offer
a few weeks ago. The current registrant agreed to sell their domain, and both sides came out significantly ahead.

I am inclined to agree with the view that a DNS registration is conceptually similar to a business name registration,
and should require a public point of contact. This seems quite clear for .gov, .edu, .org, and .com. Less clear for
.name and friends.

The EU's position seems to ignore that everyone who registered a domain name accepted a legal agreement in which they
agreed to the publicity terms for registrant information.

It appears to me that the EU is ignoring the ability to mark WHOIS registrant data private. There is a difference of
opinion in the U.S. about whether private registrant data should be the default or should be opt-in. One of the
reasons we use Google Domains rather than some others is that (a) private is the default and (b) they don't use that
as an opportunity to extract more cash.

It seems likely that the substance of the EU ruling will boil down to (a) private must be the default, and (b) there
can be no surcharge for private registration. I'm sure there are more details to resolve, but that would probably
cover most cases.

One problem with the EU position is that it will compromise internet security. There are strong conventions today by
which services can be advised of internet-relevant compromises by emailing to known (by convention) addresses. If
your site is compromised and broadcasting spam or viruses, the EU is clear that it's on you to disconnect until you
clean up. If you cannot be notified, your potential for liability goes up a whole lot.

My guess is that, in the end, the liability issues counterbalance the privacy issues and this ends up being an
expensive whole lot of nothing.

On a personal note, I'm perfectly comfortable if ICANN responds to this by cancelling all domain registrations that
it can no longer lawfully maintain. My guess is that a small number of notices to the end-victims (err, umm,
end-users) will be sufficient to engage them against the EU allowing for a rational transition process.

Jonathan Shapiro, Ph.D.
COO
Buttonsmith Inc