Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Atlantic: What Facebook Did to American Democracy, and why it was so hard to see it coming

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 15:27:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dan Gillmor <dan () gillmor com>
Date: October 15, 2017 at 2:22:01 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Atlantic: What Facebook Did to American Democracy, and why it was so hard to see it coming

Jean Camp is correct about this, of course. But as bad at the Times was
during the campaign -- and it was just awful overall, though it's
recovered some of its honor since the election -- there's was a much
more pervasive and malign contributor to the Trump campaign: television,
and especially televsion "news" shows.

Trump's "reality-TV" stardom had a lot to do with a large segment of the
public believing in an entirely phony personality. Then he was amplified
by CNN, in particular, which led the TV news pack in giving Trump
several billion dollars worth of free, unedited airtime in 2015-16. You
may even remember the videos an empty podium with announcers
breathlessly saying Trump was about to speak, plus lavish and absolutely
uncritical (until quite late) live-airing of his speeches he filled with
lies and contempt.

It wasn't just CNN. It was all of the TV "news" programming for the
longest time. They did it for money. Trump was a draw, and they could
make big money from advertisers by promoting his campaign.

In early 2016, the head of CBS said something that absolutely
characterized what was going on in the boardrooms and executive suites
of the cable and broadcast "news" companies: "The money's rolling in and
this is fun...It may not be good for America, but it's damn good for CBS."

That may be the epitaph for journalism in the Trump era.