Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Atlantic: What Facebook Did to American Democracy, and why it was so hard to see it coming

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 13:51:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: L Jean Camp <ljeanc () gmail com>
Date: October 15, 2017 at 1:11:56 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Atlantic: What Facebook Did to American Democracy, and why it was so hard to see it coming

Thank you for that article.

However, in our focus on Facebook we are failing to address the role of the traditional press. It was not only these
new social technologies but the reliable core press that amplified Russian efforts and destroyed factual discourse in
this election.

Facebook is important but let us recognize that America's three-letter police force  tipped this election, working
with the tradition press.

Every American who read the NYTimes went to the polls believing that Hillary Clinton was corrupt and the focus of an
an active FBI investigation, and also believing that the FBI has reviewed all Russian contacts with Trump, that his
integrity on that issue was complete.

None of this would have worked or mattered without the NYTimes excessive focus on Clinton Has Scandal or their
approach to Comey. It is clear the FBI payed as much of a role in this election as Facebook.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-comey-letter-probably-cost-clinton-the-election/

We need to talk about both of these things.

We cannot hold the FBI or the NYTimes accountable if we choose to ignore this. Russia/Brexit worked because of the
Guardian and the Intercept. Trump/Russia worked because of the NYTimes and the FBI. I do not have a solution but we
MUST address the problem.

Ignoring the critical role of the NYTimes as the reliable voice of truth means that we are unilaterally disarming.
Of course, the NYTimes was also critical in leading our country to a disastrous invasion...

I released data bout Trump/Russia email server in October. In less than half an hour the NYTimes rolled out what was
clearly a previously prepared story, "Investigating Donald Trump, F.B.I. Sees No Clear Link to Russia", killing the
story.

Normally I would not expose your list members to Wonkette, but I think only they have addressed the NYTimes with the
proper respect:
https://wonkette.com/610577/new-york-times-may-have-cleared-trump-of-russian-collusion-a-tad-prematurely

Prof. L. Jean Camp
http://www.ljean.com