Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Strong Encryption Is Essential to Our Security, Not a Barrier | Internet Society]

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 06:10:18 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () gmail com>
Date: October 14, 2017 at 2:57:51 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Strong Encryption Is Essential to Our Security, Not a Barrier | Internet Society]

On 10/13/2017 10:59 AM, Dave Farber wrote:
This problem, claimed Rosenstein, can be solved with what he calls “responsible encryption.” To Rosenstein,
“responsible encryption” could “involve effective, secure encryption that allows access only with judicial
authorization.” Unfortunately, if a way is made for law enforcement to bypass encryption, it could be exploited by
anyone else.

The basic, technical problems with using encryption that is built to be compromised has been repeatedly and carefully
described, by one senior expert after another.  This latest article is frankly nothing other than one more thoughtful
summary of the same technical realities that has repeatedly been explained.

The fact that there is a continuing need for such summaries -- where essentially all of the technical community
explains the problems in the same way -- means that we have policy and politics folk who refuse to hear technical
reality, not that more explanation is needed.

Since repetition of the facts as seen by the entire community of technical experts hasn't worked, I suggest that we
need to change the 'conversation' by putting the onus back on to these folk who are eager to embrace alternative
facts:

    If they are so certain this can be done in a workable fashion, they need to field a demonstration system that
works as they are demanding.

    After it is continually being compromised, the system's lack of real feasibility might be seen, even by these
folk, as lacking.

And if someone thinks the above, casual certitude about compromise is inappropriate, they need to review the world's
recent history of security system compromises and consider just how motivated the community of online hackers will be
to show these folks up...

d/

--
Dave Crocker