Interesting People mailing list archives

Re 477 Days. 521 Mass Shootings. Zero Action From Congress.

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 13:01:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Chris Beck <cbeck () pacanukeha net>
Date: October 3, 2017 at 12:16:04 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re 477 Days. 521 Mass Shootings. Zero Action From Congress.

Well to start with:

They could start to create Regulations such that a Well-Regulated Militia becomes clearly understood to have actual
meaning rather than several words ignored by the NRA
They could stop banning research into gun (un)safety
They could not legalize armour-piercing bullets within legislation concerning silencers
They could restrict magazine/clip sizes
They could close private-sale loop-holes
They could actually fund mental-health care
They could mandate background checks and cool-down periods for *all* gun ownership transfers
They could restrict ammunition sales
They could increase the penalties for and actually enforce for full-auto conversions
They could do the same to the manufacturers who make conversions easier
They could control gun advertising the same way they control smoking and alcohol advertising
They could remove bans on suing gun manufacturers

Would this stop gun violence? Of course not. That's a straw-man argument.

Cheers,
Chris