Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Berninger v. FCC: Cert petition filed with Supreme Court today

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 21:04:27 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Taht <dave.taht () gmail com>
Date: October 2, 2017 at 12:50:40 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: brett () lariat net, dcrocker () gmail com, ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Berninger v. FCC: Cert petition filed with Supreme Court today

I should really stay out of this one, but one point got made along the way that bugs me, in that the current
workaround to all forms of wireless's interference and contention issues is often an extreme amount of bufferbloat
(seconds), which makes it behave much, much worse than wired.

The core algorithms to fix that (codel, pie, fq_codel, fq_pie, cake) are either ietf standards or approaching them,
with readily available implementations on linux and bsd...

And, last year, we landed a rather major fix for typical 802.11n latency, capacity, and jitter basd on fq_codel:

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/atc17/atc17-hoiland-jorgensen.pdf

which is basically proven and deployed in linux 4.11 (for, sadly, only three chipsets)

It would be nice if those 3000+ WISPs' vendors and the LTE providers *ran* to adopt these various forms of smart
queue management (SQM), cause it would make wireless behave much closer to wired under more circumstances.

--

Dave Täht
CEO, TekLibre, LLC