Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Internet in Catalonia?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 21:06:05 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Day <jeanjour () comcast net>
Date: October 2, 2017 at 6:08:47 AM EDT
To: dave farber <farber () gmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Internet in Catalonia?

I am working closely with multiple people in Barcelona. I trust their appraisal.  Here is what two of them said:

1) "The referedum was unilateral and illegal, not supported by the Spanish constitution nor the Catalan regional law
(we have a political problem here, catalan regional government and Spanish government don't want to talk to each
other). Judges ordered the police to tear down the IT system backing up the referendum. If everything that Assange
reports has this degree of accuracy…"

2)  "Regarding the reports about the federal government, called here central government, occupying (whatever that
means) telecom providers, that's not true. And it's not true either that they tried to limit internet use. Moreover,
the idea that our central government would have a pre-planned tactic for something cannot be true in general, so
mindless, stupid, and utter incompetent is. What they did was to cut the polling stations' internet access, and then
block access to the app used to check the so-called census. And it wasn't the government, it was the police by means
of court orders issued by the Supreme Court of Justice of Catalonia. A really big, dirty mess. Most tweets of Assange
these last days regarding Catalonia have been quite stupid.
"I said so-called census because the autonomous government of Catalonia tried unsuccessfully to create a census to be
used on polling day. They didn't have legal authority to gather these data, they tried anyway, but couldn't send it
to the polling stations (courts authorized police to seize the documents). And in the end they had to put what they
got in servers to be accessed by cell phones. The police then put down those servers, using the court mandated orders.
"As I said, a nightmare."

FWIW
John