Interesting People mailing list archives

Is Popular Theory of Cosmic Creation Pseudoscience?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 09:44:43 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Date: May 13, 2017 at 5:55:51 AM EDT
To: Dave Farber <farber () gmail com>, John Horgan <jhorgan () stevens edu>
Subject: Is Popular Theory of Cosmic Creation Pseudoscience?

Dave, I thought your list might find my post on a cosmic controversy interesting. Cheers, John Horgan

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/is-a-popular-theory-of-cosmic-creation-pseudoscience/

Is a Popular Theory of Cosmic Creation Pseudoscience?

A brouhaha has erupted over the theory of cosmic creation known as inflation. The theory holds that in the first
instant of the big bang, the universe underwent a tremendous, exponential growth spurt before settling down to the
slower rate of expansion observed today.

First conceived in the early 1980s, inflation quickly became popular, because it seemed to account for puzzling
features of the observable universe. Inflation explains, supposedly, both why the universe looks quite similar in all
directions and yet isn’t entirely uniform, since it contains galaxies and other clumps of matter.

By the early 1990s, however, some cosmologists were beginning to doubt inflation. “I like inflation,” David Schramm,
a prominent contributor to the modern big bang theory, told me in 1993. But he worried that inflation does not offer
any unique, definitive predictions, which cannot be explained in any other way.

“You won’t see that for inflation, Schramm said, “whereas for the big bang itself you do see that. The beautiful,
cosmic microwave background and the light-element abundances tell you, ‘This is it.’” In other words, inflation
cannot be falsified. According to philosopher Karl Popper, a theory that doesn’t offer predictions specific and
precise enough to be proven false isn’t really scientific...

Continue reading at
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/is-a-popular-theory-of-cosmic-creation-pseudoscience/