Interesting People mailing list archives

FNN+ Verizon $20B+ 5G network really is building

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 15:20:44 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Dave Burstein <daveb () dslprime com>
Date: May 7, 2017 at 3:11:29 PM EDT
To: news () dslprime com
Subject: FNN+ Verizon $20B+ 5G network really is building

May 8

FNN/5GW/DSL Prime in an experimental short form, with G.fast News beneath.

The news: Verizon $20B 5G network to 1/3 to 1/2 of the U.S. is on; John Cioffi Wednesday will explore terabit DSL;
Telefonica CTO rips the 5G hype and rush; NTT CTO reverses position, now expects mmWave 2020; Super Wi-Fi is
delivering 300 meg symmetrical at a fraction of mmWave costs; AT&T has massive unused spectrum holdings; Belgacom:
Nothing “needs” 5G;  Ralph de la Vega and a story worth reading: 5 G.fast stories

Reply "subscribe" to be added, "un" to be dropped

New York: Verizon is going ahead full speed with a $20B 5G network to 1/3 to 1/2 of the U.S. Not a trial, test, fake,
or limited. Lowell McAdam has made the decision although it’s not announced. 6 part article linked below.

Paris: Terabit DSL (not a typo) is John Cioffi’s talk 9 a.m. Wednesday at the Paris G.fast Summit. If it were anyone
but John, I’d think this pure science fiction. If testing proves out, this will be historic. (Submillimeter wave with
waveguide.) Four distinguished Professors think John’s on target http://bit.ly/2qQcyM5

*** Do check G.fast News, below

Spain: CTO Enrique Blanco of Telefonica warns the rush to get something called “5G” is forcing some very bad
decisions. He asks, “So what's new? They simply end up extending 4G capabilities [with] little differentiation from
advanced LTE technology.” Enrique is saying publicly what his peers tell me privately. Some wisdom
http://bit.ly/2qGp7NK

Japan: Seizo Onoe, NTT DOCOMO CTO, changed his mind and now expects mmWave in 2020. In 2015, he predicted little
mmWave mobile before 2022-2023. That became the common wisdom among leading engineers. The technical progress in the
last year has been extraordinary and the costs are way down. http://bit.ly/2qe6Pne

California: George Ginis used Mimosa’s super Wi-Fi to connect a customer a customer with 435.74 down, 331.83 up, and
4 ms ping. 5 GHz Mimosa is designed like a mmWave network but a heck of a lot cheaper than 28 GHz. Interesting
alternative http://bit.ly/2qenVl5

Dallas: AT&T has 60 MHz of fallow spectrum. There never was a U.S. spectrum shortage. http://bit.ly/2qeoeMD

Belgium: Raphaël Glatt of Belgacom reminds us, “There is no service today that requires 5G.”  LTE is going to a
gigabit this year, plenty for just about everything. Nothing “needs” 1 ms latency. Verizon and AT&T are building to a
5-10 ms target; I don’t think any telco has committed to  1 ms. It would require moving all the intelligence to the
edge, brutally expensive. A connected car expert tells me “There’s nothing I can’t do with 3 ms DSRC.” Virtual
reality apps are being designed for 10-15 ms.

Next issue: A deep dive into Massive MIMO, already on http://5gwnews.com/index.php/mimo

My opinion: Blanco is right much of what’s being promoted is really “4G and a press release.” I call it “Fake 5G.”
The level of bs has become ridiculous. It’s time to shout “The emperor has no clothes” to many of the top companies
in the industry. Much more http://bit.ly/2qeiz9l

“5g” has become so meaningless I’m about to move 5gwnews.com to wirelessone.news.

*** Virtual fiber by Sckipio. Extend your fiber with 100-300 meters of  single-port G.fast. It can save expensive
trenching for cell towers, small cells, basement fiber, commercial customers and others. A very thin management layer
allows operators to keep their existing GPON management layer. Sckipio makes it effortless to add G.fast to any GPON
network.  http://bit.ly/Fiberextend (ad)

Do read: Ralph de la Vega of AT&T and the Price of Discrimination http://bit.ly/2qP8i0r
Ralph de la Vega, one of the most capable executives in telecom, retired as Vice-Chairman of AT&T. He brought the
iPhone to America, working closely with Steve Jobs. I first met him in the early years of DSL, when his BellSouth
division was far more efficient than any other in the U.S. Gary Becker won a Nobel Prize for developing an economic
analysis of the cost of discrimination. Ralph's career shows how a company benefits by not discriminating.

Nearly sixty years after Ralph came to America as a young boy, you can still hear Cuba in his voice. He worked his
way through college as a janitor; he probably didn’t have the style to get a job at many companies. Even today,
someone like de la Vega from a working class background, with strong ethnicity, from a little known college, would
rarely get a chance at Google, Facebook, or Apple. Worth a click http://bit.ly/2qP8i0r

Verizon’s $20B mmWave Network is building.
Seven articles, with more to come.
The Network Design http://bit.ly/2pV8hI0
McAdam’s Inspiration: Costs are down, tech is working, Verizon has deep issues, and he wants a legacy
http://bit.ly/2po1p54
The evidence http://bit.ly/2pU2aFW
The $4B to $7B Fiber Network http://bit.ly/2qQmLYZ
They didn’t buy spectrum because this was planned http://bit.ly/2pQrzzP
They are building because deals will be tough http://bit.ly/2pQt0hY
They had to do something because the competition is catching up http://bit.ly/2qedygK

Shorts:
Kumu Networks full duplex wireless backhaul for small cells is in production and deployed at several European telcos.
Their board includes the cream of the Stanford EE Department: Sachin Katti, Philip Levis, Nick Mckeown, Guru Parulkar
and Arogyaswami Paulraj, so great things are expected.  No, they haven’t yet reduced it to size appropriate for a
mobile phone. When they do, that can add 30% to 70% to the capacity of a mobile system.
Caroline Gabriel at Wireless Watch reports “Ericsson is planning to sell a variety of TV assets – Tandberg TV, Azuki,
Mediaroom, Red Bee, Fabrix nPVR, Envivio encoding, Technicolor Broadcast.” Her reports often dig deeper than almost
anyone else. Wireless Watch and Rethink, are priced for corporate buys but deliver value for money.
Rohde and Schwarz has a useful Antenna Basics pdf for us non-EE’s at http://bit.ly/2kJJyD5 . What I really need is a
deep explanation of beamforming choices. Any pointers?
Mediatek, #2 to Qualcomm, is having trouble finding customers for their new 10 nm LTE chip. (Digitimes, Electronic
Daily News) Xiaomi has backed away, LeEco doesn’t have the money, and few others are buying in. If Qualcomm’s 835
delivers what’s promised, it should own that market. Samsung and Intel also have hopes.
Kevin Krewell, Jim McGregor, and Paul Teich have taken over Will Strauss’ Forward Concepts - Wireless/DSP Newsletter.
Will’s joining them at Tirias Research. If they maintain Will’s standard, the free subscription is a must-have.
newsletter () tiriasresearch com.

G.fast News http://gfastnews.com/

Terabits over phone wire? Wednesday May 10 at the Paris G.fast Summit may prove historic. At 9 a.m. John Cioffi will
present TDSL. Can a waveguide deliver submillimeter waves of copper? 1,000 times faster than what we can do today,
but some very respected EE’s are impressed.I’ve seen the presentation and it’s compelling. Details on Tuesday
http://bit.ly/2qQcyM5 when the embargo is over. Here’s what’s public. bit.ly/2qQcyM5

Trevor Linney of BT follows John. He’ll bring details from the field of BT’s 100,000 homes already passed, the first
large deployment in the world. A dozen more of the best in the business will be there to present and then answer my
questions. By Thursday, we will all know a great deal more.

Taiwan’s Chunghwa claimed the first G.fast deployment, but nothing happened after the press release. That’s one
reason the government fired the CEO. The new CEO is moving forward. Bezeq in Israel also is actively installing
(Adtran/Sckipio)

Send me more news. Daveb () dslprime com

Gigabit+ and Longer Reach as Amendment 3 Approved http://bit.ly/2po8RNq

ITU makes it official. Amendments 2 & 3 promise longer reach, reverse power, downloaded upgrades for the customer
equipment, DTA over coax, and a dozen other improvements. The major chip vendors, Broadcom and Sckipio, are already
hard at work. The carriers are hoping for equipment in the second half of 2017. The amendments extend the frequency
range up to 212 MHz.

AT&T has been vocal they want a true gigabit to compete with cable, not "up to a gigabit." Comcast is well along
deploying gigabit cable to 40M U.S. homes. That will almost double speeds on very short loops, such as the apartment
buildings AT&T is planning to serve.

BT needs longer reach. Their finance guys insist they use existing cabinets rather than building to the distribution
points closer to the customer. G.fast was designed for 50-200 meters but existing cabinets are often 350 meters away
or more. The new standard increases the maximum transmit power up to +8 dBm, with a practical goal of 300 megabits
300 meters

*** Paris G.fast May 9-11 is an unmissable event for anyone deploying networks. Trevor Linney of BT, deploying 10M
lines; John Cioffi with a bombshell; and just about every company in the business except Broadcom. In three days,
you'll master G.fast & discover the state of the art. I'm chair and promise a very high S/N. http://bit.ly/GFParis
(Ad) Jennie's bringing her camera.
The ITU has also started work on G.mgfast (Multi-gigabit.) Alcatel/Nokia is the pioneer here with XG-FAST, which
reaches over 10 gigabits over 30 meters in lab tests. (Below) It uses full duplex, more spectrum, and other new
techniques. Huawei also is making contributions http://bit.ly/2po8RNq

300 Megabits Upstream For Australian Business http://bit.ly/2qPraMO

G.fast can do what ADSL & its successor VDSL can't: Deliver fast upstream or down, whichever is needed most.
Comvergence sells to Australian businesses 300 up, 300 down and finds that is preferred over any flavor of ADSL or
VDSL Comvergence runs fiber to the basement where they have a Calix DSLAM and use phone wire from there. The prize in
Australia is the big National Broadband Network contract. They are installing 700,000+ lines of "fiber to the
distribution point" as well as millions of lines of vectored VDSL and fiber home.

Here in New York, Verizon can't bring me more than 6 megabits and I had to deliver DSL Prime over cable.
http://bit.ly/2qPraMO

Adtran: G.fast Volume is 2018 http://bit.ly/2qdRRh9

Adtran had a great Q1 and expects to have strong 2017. G.fast isn't selling enough yet to be a factor. Mike Foliano
doesn't expect G.fast volume to ramp until 2018, even if announcements come sooner.

All but a few companies are moving cautiously. British Telecom has passed 100,000 homes and looks to move quickly to
3M/year. Bezeq in Israel is rapidly deploying. AT&T - Adtran's keystone customer - is enthusiastic about G.fast but
not buying much equipment yet. NBN in Australia is just beginning with a million lines of "fiber to the distribution
point + G.fast."  An amazing 100 telcos around the world are trialing Adtran G.fast, an encouraging sign.

Adtran announced they have shipped 10M ports of vectored DSL, far more than any telcos have declared. That suggests
at least one large carrier (?Century, AT&T) has been deploying vectored gear without offering that to customers. That
wouldn't be surprising; in the past, companies like AT&T  have waited on new offerings until they were widely
deployed. More http://bit.ly/2qdRRh9

G.fast Made in Europe by Altice http://bit.ly/2pnIVBI

Nuno Monteiro at Altice Labs Portugal  is ready to ship CPEs, 16 port G.fast DSLAMs, and single port “fiber range
extenders.” They are working on a 24 port DSLAM as well, using Sckipio chips. The single port has a natural
application when you can bring fiber close (<200 meters) and want to save time and the expense of running fiber all
the way. They are seeing enough demand for coax connectivity they offer a unit with both coax and twisted pair
interfaces.

Altice acquired the company when it took control of Portugal Telecom and renamed it Altice Labs. It has a proud
history going back to building digital switches in the 1950’s. Today they make GPON ONTs in the hundreds of
thousands. Portugal has fiber home in most of the country, far ahead of most of Europe. Having in-house manufacturing
is one reason Altice America is the first in the world to replace DOCSIS cable with fiber home. More
http://bit.ly/2pnIVBI

Reply "subscribe" to be added, "un" to be dropped
Volume 16, #12 May 6, 2017