Interesting People mailing list archives

The Neutrality Delusion

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 17:11:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com>
Date: May 31, 2017 at 2:06:33 PM EDT
To: ip <ip () listbox com>, Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: The Neutrality Delusion

Here’s my piece from MIT Tech Review.

A View from Richard Bennett

The Neutrality Delusion
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/607984/the-neutrality-delusion

Net neutrality will never be anything more than a vague aspiration with no clear definition.
--
The most surprising thing about net neutrality is the fact that the Internet policy community is still debating it 15
years after the idea was born. If it were the magic bullet it’s alleged to be, by now we all would have seen the

Net neutrality is essentially the belief that intelligence inside the Internet is detrimental to innovation at the
network’s edge. This misguided faith leads advocates to demand lobotomies for Internet service providers in the vain
hope of maximizing the Internet’s potential.

While most people who are aware of net neutrality believe it to be a good thing—even if they can’t define it—it
delivers the opposite of its promise.

Net neutrality hasn’t extended high-speed broadband networks to all corners of the nation and the globe, for example.
In fact, it hasn’t even made the networks we have any faster or more reliable. Networks have indeed improved at an
awesome rate since the 1990s, but net neutrality has had nothing to do with this progress.

Likewise, net neutrality has not made the Internet safer or more secure, nor can it. Progress toward greater security
depends on technical and regulatory enhancements that we haven’t even had time to discuss because net neutrality has
sucked all the oxygen out of the room.

And net neutrality has not made networks any less expensive, nor can it because it requires costly investments in
network infrastructure to deal with trivial engineering issues such as fleeting moments of network overload.

Worst of all, net neutrality is not actually enforceable. This question was studied by British computer scientist
Neil Davies for Ofcom, the U.K.’s FCC, in 2015. Davies looked at the six best methods of “traffic management
detection” described in the academic literature and found all of them wanting in some important way.

Net neutrality enforcers need the ability to detect unfair treatment of Internet sites; without this capability
regulations banning such conduct are meaningless. But Davies declares “no tool or combination of tools currently
available is suitable for practical use” in this endeavor.

So what gives with the snarky blog posts, the sloganeering, the clever formulations about innovation, and the
shrieking of cable TV comedians about this wonky notion? While the Internet certainly appears to be developing
nicely, we can neither prove nor disprove its alleged neutrality.

[more at MIT Tech Review, link above]

—
Richard Bennett
High Tech Forum Founder