Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Trump's budget calls for sensible cuts in research

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 19:41:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jim Turner <jameshturnerjr () gmail com>
Date: March 19, 2017 at 7:10:18 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Trump's budget calls for sensible cuts in research

John's arguments ignore the huge amount of good that Federal research has done.  It is easy to do a caricature like
John has of NIDA and to pretend that it is typical of the research funds that will be cut and there will be no loss
to the economy if public sector research funds are cut by 20 percent this year and who knows how much over the next
few years.  I don't believe for a minute that if we cut $10 to $15 billion in research from the federal research
funding that even ten percent will be replaced by individuals or corporations and that the national interest will
automatically be better served by the choices even richer alumni make in giving to schools and how much researcher
time will be wasted catering to hobbyists who give them a few bucks to keep them going.  Anyone who has been involved
in university fundraising knows that the biggest gifts will go to even bigger athletic complexes, and other pet
projects rather than what the university might think it really needs.

Since NIH grants are multiyear, cuts at that level basically cut out almost all new grants.  This is at a time when
China is on a glide path to pass us within a decade in research spending.  If we cut off the revenue streams that
make our research universities world class, how long do you think we are going to be attracting the world class
talent that has created so many jobs in the country.

I agree with the new growth economists that see a high multiple in the return to our economy of research spending.
I don't think it is an accident that we have had huge increases in innovations and productivity in the very years
when US has dominated research;

I think we need to be much more strategic in how we spend our research dollars.  For instance, I don't understand why
budget reform is so focused on the current fiscal year.  The President's budget is looking at research as a current
expense rather than an investment and deficits as a problem solved only by current year cuts.  I would love to see
more of the research spending linked to expenses that the government is likely to pick up for years to come.  Why not
include in the Medicaid budget research to cure Alzheimers, the disease which might eventually bankrupt it.  Let
Medicare pay for cancer research and research that launches genomic based personal medicine and that has the
potential to greatly reduce Medicare budgets of the future.  Why not include materials research in infrastructure
budgets and fund research that could greatly extend the useful life of the infrastructure and reduce maintenance
costs?  Some of these will work; some will not.  But if we think about research to solve the grand challenges which
over time increase government spending, over the life of these projects I expect the research spending will pay for
itself many times over.  These projects would need to be managed the way that DARPA or ARPA-E manages their projects,
but we are not without models where the government is able to work closely with the private sector in solving
significant problems.