Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Trump's budget calls for sensible cuts in research

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 21:41:20 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Harry Hochheiser <harry () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 5:29 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Trump's budget calls for sensible cuts in research
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>

Dave:

John raises some interesting points.

It's worth noting that there are mechanisms by which the NIH will accept
community input that is used to guide research directions. Recent examples
include a request for information for comments on varieties of marjiuana
for research (
https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/marijuana/nidas-role-in-providing-marijuana-research/summary-request-information-rfi-regarding-varieties-marijuana-marijuana-products-research),
and on the NIDA strategic plan (
https://www.drugabuse.gov/about-nida/strategic-plan/comments-nidas-strategic-plan-rfi).
If John Gilmore or others have concerns about directions that NIH/NIDA or
other groups are taking, they should avail themselves of this opportunity
to contribute input.

As far as the idea of "I don't want to fund what I don't like", fine.
According to Wikipedia (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II), the F35
fighter plane was $163b over budget and 7 years behind schedule by 2014.
The NIH spends $30b on research annually (
https://www.nih.gov/about-nih/what-we-do/impact-nih-research), making the
overruns alone on the F35 sufficient to cover almost 5.5 years of
NIH-funded research.

Disclaimer - I am an NIH funded researcher and a believer in the intrinsic
value of scientific research. I am therefore thoroughly biased. That said,
I'd rather spend my money on the worst of NIDA mis-guided research than on
overruns on defense contracting.

-harry