Interesting People mailing list archives

Re GOP-hired data company leaked information on 198 million citizens

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 17:46:19 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Gilmore <gnu () toad com>
Date: June 19, 2017 at 4:12:09 PM CDT
To: dave () farber net, "ip" <ip () listbox com>, gnu () toad com
Subject: Re: [IP] GOP-hired data company leaked information on 198 million citizens

The data included citizens' contact information, addresses,
birthdays, and analyses used to predict how they felt about
controversial political topics like gun control and abortion.
But the company doesn't think any [other] parties accessed the
data during the 12 days that it was exposed. In a statement, Deep
Root said, "Since this event has come to our attention, we have
updated the access settings and put protocols in place to prevent
further access."

That's a shame.  I was hoping somebody would sell or gift us access to
the information ABOUT OURSELVES that Deep Root has been compiling.

I have been wondering how I feel about gun control and abortion.  If
only Deep Root would tell me!  And even better if they would tell me
what info has led them to believe that they know how I feel.

   John