Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Oxford Report: Computational Propaganda Worldwide

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 09:18:09 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Douglas Guilbeault <douglasguilbeault () gmail com>
Date: Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 10:11 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Oxford Report: Computational Propaganda Worldwide
To: L Jean Camp <ljeanc () gmail com>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, Sam Woolley <woolleysam () gmail com>, ip <
ip () listbox com>, Douglas Guilbeault <dguilbeault () asc upenn edu>

Thanks for sending. Yes, I wonder if you could measure silencing by
examining anomalies in the burstiness of messaging toward a particular
user. E.g. if a network of bots starting blasting messages at a user around
the same time. Silencing could be detected if a user significantly reduced
their frequency of tweets as a result of bursty attacks from bots. Perhaps
some regression discontinuity analysis would be effective here as a method
for measuring quasi-causality. Perhaps the burstiness wouldn't be essential
- i.e. perhaps you could find that messages in general from bots reduced
tweeting frequency in a targeted user, but it would be tricky to tease out
confounding variables for why a user may fluctuate in tweet frequency (e.g.
just normal fluctuations in normal usage). I am meeting with a friend from
the ADL and Internet & Society to discuss hate speech and how to measure it
online. This may lead to the kind of data that would be ideal for testing
the methods we’re discussing.