Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Liberal Arts in the Data Age

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 17:55:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
Date: June 26, 2017 at 2:08:24 PM EDT
To: Dave Crocker <dcrocker () bbiw net>
Cc: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Liberal Arts in the Data Age

Good point Dave. Moreover, I would argue that the liberal arts helps provide students the broader ability to
understand big-picture (ie "context") that whatever technical items/products/solutions they're working on fits into.
 IMO you need exposure to both to be effective over time in developing and sustaining one's long-term career as
opposed to simply performing a series of technical/vocational tasks to meet near-term workforce requirements.

While I don't disagree that there are some liberal arts programs that likely will disappear and/or are not really
appropriate or can lead to many long-term careers in modern times .... but by the same token, one can have a
questionable degree in "fru fru studies" yet be a self-taught geek and do great things as an IT professional, having
been exposed to those broader "liberal arts" type things that can make a person more effective in their careers.

That said:  I realise this could devolve quickly into another STEM-v-STEAM argument, so I'll just leave it at that.
:)

 -- rick