Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Under pressure, Western tech firms bow to Russian demands to share cyber secrets | Reuters

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 16:41:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Seth David Schoen <schoen () loyalty org>
Date: June 23, 2017 at 3:47:55 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Under pressure, Western tech firms bow to Russian demands to share cyber secrets | Reuters

Dave Farber writes:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-russia-tech-idUSKBN19E0XB

This article takes a super-skeptical view toward Russian fears that U.S.
products might have backdoors and the consequence that Russians see it
as important to be able to confirm that they don't.  It even ends up
suggesting that disclosing source code is bad for security (albeit
mainly in contexts where the disclosure is made to governments and not
to the public -- which might sometimes be true).

Would we take such a negative view of U.S. concerns that Russian or
Chinese products might have backdoors and that we need mechanisms to
confirm that they don't?  Why, I've just last month read press coverage
criticizing the U.S. government for continuing to use Russian antivirus,
because obviously the Russian government will use these antivirus
tools to attack us.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/classified-senate-briefing-expands-include-russian-cyber-firm/story?id=47619783

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/kaspersky-willing-give-us-anti-virus-source-code-disprove-russia-spying-claims-1623328

Why is it obvious that Russians need to prove that they're not subverting
technology to attack us, but bizarre to think that we need to prove that
we're not subverting technology to attack the Russians?

In a lecture earlier this week, I mentioned how I've heard from both
Cisco and Huawei employees that their ability to sell to customers in each
other's countries is harmed by fears that each vendor's local government
has caused backdoors to be built into the products.  (Leaks have confirmed
that the U.S. government has at least backdoored technology products
by intercepting physical shipments to foreign customers -- which those
foreign customers are right to want to protect themselves against.)

I thought the natural answer was that in an era where governments view
"cyber" so aggressively as a domain and means of state power, everyone's
concerns for supply-chain security are legitimate.  That's true
whether the customers are Chinese, Russian, American, Brazilian, Indian,
or anyone else.  All technology vendors have a shared problem (that
they can potentially try to collaborate on solving) of how they can
make trustworthy products for customers abroad -- and show that they've
done so.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen () loyalty org>      |  No haiku patents
    http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/        |  means I've no incentive to