Interesting People mailing list archives

Re DHS Is Starting to Scan Americans' Faces Before They Get on International Flights

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 14:42:41 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: June 22, 2017 at 1:41:10 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] DHS Is Starting to Scan Americans' Faces Before They Get on International Flights

(For IP, if you wish)

There are of course all kinds of security, privacy, and civil liberties
concerns associated with this initiative.  Let me touch on two that
may not be obvious.

1. As noted, the false positive rate is likely to be significant, which
will inconvenience (and more) some travelers.

But the false negative rate will be too.  And given the propensity of
operators to "believe the computer" -- something we see far too often
in every field of IT -- this could have serious consequences.

2. What happens when -- not IF, but WHEN -- the entire database is
compromised?

The new owners of the data will have a highly usable (and saleable)
collection of data on a cross-section of American citizens who either
need to or want to travel internationally.  This will include business
people, government employees, academics, and people of sufficient means
to afford discretionary international travel.

For anyone in the business of spear-phishing, extortion, blackmail,
kidnapping, etc. this is the motherlode.   It's one-stop shopping
for pre-compiled dossiers on potential victims.

Once again, as we see so often, people who think they're building
a weapon are really building a target.

---rsk