Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Verizon Wireless confirms it throttled Netflix streams as part of traffic optimization trial

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 19:26:51 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Verizon Wireless confirms it throttled Netflix streams as part of traffic optimization trial
Date: July 22, 2017 at 2:51:18 PM EDT
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>

Everyone:

Fred's explanation of 47 USC 230(c) is correct. However, in this case, the key provisions are in (b) and (f). 47 USC
230(b) states that the policy of the United States is to leave the Net unregulated. This precludes "Chevron
deference" (the courts' practice of deferring to an agency when a statute is ambiguous) by clearly stating
Congressional intent. (In USTA v. FCC, two DC Circuit judges who had egregious conflicts of interest -- they were
potential SCOTUS nominees and thus had a vested interest in pleasing the White House -- ignored this, which is why
the case is being appealed to the Supreme Court. The deadline for the certitorari petition -- the request for the
court to review the case -- has just been extended to the end of September.)

47 USC 230(f) reinforces the policy statement in (b) by explicitly classifying Internet access in statute as a "data
service," which means that it cannot be reclassified as being subject to regulation under Title II of the statute --
the portion originally crafted to regulate the Bell System monopoly. The conflicted judges again ignored this
explicit classification.

Should the FCC's Title II regulations stand, the "major carriers" mentioned by Gordon are unlikely to see new
competition, and existing competitors (including my own ISP) will be unable to attract investors to expand their
operations. In fact, they may sell out or fold their tents due to increasingly burdensome regulation. This will do
severe harm to consumers. The FCC's regulation of the Net will also encourage other nations to regulate the Internet
in what they claim to be the "public interest," censoring it and blocking services as Turkey and Egypt have recently
done.

We can only hope that the Supreme Court will set things right via this case.

--Brett Glass