Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Why Oxfam is getting it wrong about poverty

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 16:04:44 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: January 16, 2017 at 9:42:01 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Why Oxfam is getting it wrong about poverty

In it's first sentence, the article is demeaning, offensive, inaccurate and misleading.
What follows is the typical drivel: Make rich people richerer; the poor have only
themselves to blame.

More to the point, the author is disengenuously conflating Soviet
style economies, which were all about command and control, with actual
redistribution.  From what I've seen, giving money to the poor in
market economies works pretty well.  Look at the Earned Income Credit
in the US, or various experiments in guaranteed annual income in
northern Europe.

R's,
John

Why Oxfam is getting it wrong about poverty
By Tim Worstall
Jan 16 2017
<https://capx.co/why-oxfams-got-it-wrong-about-poverty/>

As it’s Davos time, Oxfam has issued its traditional demand for a handout.  Their
wealth report this year informs us that a mere eight people have more wealth than the
bottom 50 per cent of the world’s population. This is entirely true of course. But
Oxfam’s solution is that we should take it from the rich and give it to the poor. Which
is entirely wrong.

Our essential economic problem is that there are not enough rich people. Nor is their
extreme wealth a problem. Our problem is poverty, not inequality.

Oxfam’s redistribution argument has been tried before and found wanting. It was the
subject of the world’s largest economic experiment: the 20th century. Anyone surveying
the rubble of central Europe from the Brandenburg Gate in 1989 knows that the taking and
giving solution does not work. ...