Interesting People mailing list archives

Re North American Box Office Hits Record $11.4 Billion

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2017 17:52:19 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Richard Bennett <richard () bennett com>
Date: January 2, 2017 at 3:56:20 PM EST
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] North American Box Office Hits Record $11.4 Billion

If the defendant in a case of car theft argues “yes, I stole a car but the guy I stole it from has plenty more cars
so no big deal”, I don’t think the court is going to be sympathetic. It’s easy to pretend it’s no big deal by
cherry-picking data, but I think you’d be hard-pressed to find a large number of musicians willing to assert they’re
doing as well as they ever have.

The most heavily pirated movies and TV shows have geek appeal, according to some random poster on Reddit:

Top ten most pirated TV shows of 2016:

      • Game of Thrones
      • The Walking Dead
      • Westworld
      • The Flash
      • Arrow
      • The Big Bang Theory
      • Vikings
      • Lucifer
      • Suits
      • The Grand Tour

I don’t know which are least-pirated, but my guess would be children’s shows. So piracy makes the kind of shows I
like watch less profitable to produce than shows I’m way too old to watch until I get grandchildren. I don’t believe
this dynamic is good for the culture as we Americans are much too childish already. Look at the tantrum we threw in
November.

RB