Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Bill Perry Is Terrified. Why Aren't You?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 12:35:45 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jonathan Thornburg <jthorn () astro indiana edu>
Date: January 7, 2017 at 11:44:03 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Bill Perry Is Terrified. Why Aren't You?

Someone (who, if I've unwrapped the nested quoting correctly, may have
been Thomas Leavitt) asked:
What has changed so fundamentally that we're now re-enmeshed in this
lunacy? I'm baffled.

One thing that's changed in the past year or so is that the decades-old
cooperative effort between the USA & Russia to switch research reactors
around the world to NOT use high-enriched uranium fuel, is now in slow
mottion at best, with USA/Russia cooperation essentially frozen.  (See,
e.g.,
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/ridding-research-reactors-highly-enriched-uranium-take-decades-longer-projected
for more information.)

There are still 74 known civilian research reactors around the world
which use high-enriched uranium fuel, and many of these are poorly guarded
against theft.  If a terrorist group were to steal some high-enriched
uranium fuel, they could have a decent chance of building a working
kiloton-sized (= can destroy square kilometers of a city) gun-type nuclear
bomb (probably built around an old artillery gun).  (In contrast, if they
were to steal plutonium, making that explode with more than truck-bomb
force would be hard: that would require implosion, which takes a lot of
engineering expertise).

Killing 100K to 1M people with terrorist nuclear boms *probably* won't
start a "major" nuclear war, but the chances aren't exactly zero, either.