Interesting People mailing list archives

Everything I Need to Know about Russia’s Internet Interference I Learned Through College Pranks - Defense One

From: "dfarber" <dfarber () me com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 18:26:57 -0500

http://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2017/01/everything-i-need-know-about-russias-internet-interference-i-learned-through-college-pranks/134953/?oref=d-river

<http://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2017/01/everything-i-need-know-about-russias-internet-interference-i-learned-through-college-pranks/134953/?oref=d-river>

Everything I Need to Know about Russia’s Internet Interference I Learned Through College Pranks

Sean Havey/AP
AA Font size + Print
</ideas/2017/01/everything-i-need-know-about-russias-internet-interference-i-learned-through-college-pranks/134953/print/>
It's not terribly difficult to inject fake news into conversation.

One February, as a snowstorm headed for the Carolinas, a Raleigh television station debuted a Web form meant to allow
local schools and businesses to send cancellations and snow delays straight to the live TV feed. Someone posted the
URL to an unofficial university message board <http://www.thewolfweb.com/message_topic.aspx?topic=180137&page=2>, and
within minutes, mayhem erupted <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcO3pyge-8w> in the margins of the nightly news:

CLOSED: Tutone Industries (For more info, call Jenny at 867-5309 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WTdTwcmxyo>)
All Your Base Are Belong to Us <http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/all-your-base-are-belong-to-us>. Take off every ZIG for
great justice.
CLOSED: PWNT Industries. Raleigh PWNT.
But while our antics caused little damage aside from a few embarrassed faces in the newsroom, not everyone uses fake
news for lulz. As recent events show, sinister actors use the same tricks to spread misinformation and deception —
with potentially disastrous consequences.