Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Techdirt's First Amendment Fight For Its Life

From: "David Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 09:32:59 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Alan Levy <plevy () citizen org>
Subject: RE: [IP] Re Techdirt's First Amendment Fight For Its Life
Date: February 20, 2017 at 9:04:07 AM EST
To: "'dave () farber net'" <dave () farber net>, ip <ip () listbox com>

Massachusetts has an anti-SLAPP statute, but it has a particularly narrow scope – what steps are free speech activists
in Massachusetts taking to expand its scope to cover non-commercial speech on matters of public concern?

Although hope continues for a federal anti-SLAPP law, the real action for the past several years has been at the state
level, with some states adopting their first anti-SLAPP laws and several states broadening the scope of theirs.  There
is, for example, a current effort in Virginia (I testified before a state senate committee in Richmond last month).