Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Brick & Mortar Store Goes Cashless

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 22:58:52 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Thomas Leavitt <thomas () thomasleavitt org>
Date: Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Re Brick & Mortar Store Goes Cashless
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: <brett () lariat net>

Dave,

A lot of young people don't have bank accounts. Never established them.
They cost $ to keep and maintain, they expose you to risk (fees and
penalties, debt collectors, tax and other liens), etc. If your income in
unreliable, a bank account can be a disaster... several transactions hit
you at the wrong time, suddenly, you go from $5 in the bank to -value of
transactions (say, $80) - $35 per transaction, etc. So, you're suddenly
$200+ in debt to the bank. Have that happen two or three times and suddenly
you're much less interested in maintaining an account. I suspect this is at
least partially why Brett is seeing what he's seeing. Plus, there's all
these other bankless payment and bank account equivalents (with no
protection, but lower risk) that ultimately often wind up being translated
to cash.

Thomas