Interesting People mailing list archives

Re New Trump Deportation Rules

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 20:24:01 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Karl Auerbach <karl () cavebear com>
Date: February 22, 2017 at 8:12:06 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip <ip () listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re New Trump Deportation Rules

With regard to the cost of immigrants I have heard that if one looks at long term demographic trends the US *needs*
immigrants for us to have a healthy age distribution.

Also, I have long wondered about a particular moment of inflection: The moment that a person realizes that he/she
must leave the known world that is "home" and relocate to a foreign place.  My sense is that this is often a
wrenching experience, and generally harder for those with more years than for those with fewer.

So when I see a group laboring in a field of strawberries or standing in the parking lot of a Home Depot I tend to
think that what we have here is the self-selected cream of the crop in terms of people who have demonstrated an
ability to make hard decisions and follow through.  Is that not exactly the kind of talent and initiative that we
want in our future workers, friends, and citizens?

Even if absorbing the a first generation of immigrants incurs a cost, don't we stand to reap far greater long term
gains as the second, and especially the third and subsequent, generations blend into our national culture (and we, at
least to a small extent, blend into theirs)?

   --karl--