Interesting People mailing list archives

Re Why Mike Masnick changed his mind on net neutrality / responses to Ben Thompson

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 18:10:03 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Hasan Diwan <hasan.diwan () gmail com>
Date: December 10, 2017 at 6:07:09 PM EST
To: "dave () farber net" <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Why Mike Masnick changed his mind on net neutrality / responses to Ben Thompson

Prof Farber,
[for IP, if you wish]

The underlying question regarding network neutrality is one of innovation. Specifically, do we want innovation
throughout the OSI stack or restricted to a given set of levels. If the state mandated that Internet access had to be
symmetric, there would be no need for Bittorrent, for example, and the creativity that went into the realisation that
users needed to access files from a single source might not have occurred, or would have done so at a later date.