Interesting People mailing list archives

Why Mike Masnick changed his mind on net neutrality / responses to Ben Thompson

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 17:54:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Barbara van Schewick <schewick () stanford edu>
Date: December 10, 2017 at 12:25:04 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Cc: Barbara van Schewick <schewick () stanford edu>
Subject: Why Mike Masnick changed his mind on net neutrality / responses to Ben Thompson

Hi Dave,

For IP, if you wish. You recently shared an article by tech industry analyst and blogger Ben Thompson, in which he
argued that you can be in favor of net neutrality, but still support Chairman Pai’s plan to eliminate all net
neutrality protections at the FCC.

Here are two thoughtful articles responding to his claims:
1) Why I changed my mind on net neutrality by Mike Masnick on Techdirt:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20171206/22535138758/why-i-changed-my-mind-net-neutrality.shtml

“The larger point here, though is that while there certainly were a number of reasons to be hesitant about supporting
Title II or even explicit rules from the FCC a decade ago, enough things have happened that if you support net
neutrality, supporting Title II is the only current way to get it. Ajit Pai's plan gets rid of net neutrality. The
courts have made it clear. The (non) competitive market has made it clear. The statements of the large broadband
providers have made it clear. The concerns of the small broadband providers have made it clear. If Ben does support
net neutrality, as he claims, then he should not support Pai's plan. It does not and will not lead to the results he
claims he wants. It is deliberately designed to do the opposite.

So, yes. For a long time -- like Ben does now -- I worried about an FCC presenting rules. But the courts made it
clear that this was the only way to actually keep neutrality -- short of an enlightened Congress. And the
deteriorating market, combined with continued efforts and statements from the big broadband companies, made it clear
that it was necessary. You can argue that the whole concept of net neutrality is bad -- but, if you support the
concept of net neutrality, and actually understand the history,  then it's difficult to see how you can support Pai's
plan. I hope that Ben will reconsider his position -- especially since Pai himself has been retweeting Ben's posts
and tweets on this subject.”

2) Also recommended: What an Internet analyst got wrong about net neutrality on Wired by Klint Flintley on Wired:
https://www.wired.com/story/what-an-internet-analyst-got-wrong-about-net-neutrality/.

Best,
Barbara
---
Barbara van Schewick
Professor of Law and (by Courtesy) Electrical Engineering
Helen L. Crocker Faculty Scholar
Director, Center for Internet and Society
Stanford Law School

Author of "Internet Architecture and Innovation," MIT Press 2010
Twitter: @vanschewick
E-Mail: schewick () stanford edu
Phone:  650-723 8340

Crown Quadrangle