Interesting People mailing list archives

Re What Happened To All The Teachers?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 17:19:12 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jonathan S. Shapiro" <jonathan.s.shapiro () gmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re What Happened To All The Teachers?
Date: August 26, 2017 at 4:31:25 PM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>

[For IP]

Three years ago I considered certifying for K-12 teaching in WA state, and spent some time looking at the
requirements.In most states, certification anywhere in the K-12 range requires either an undergraduate or a graduate
degree in teaching and a significant classroom practicum.

So keeping in mind that we are talking about people with graduate degrees, what do these people get paid?

The Lake Washington School District (which is in King County) has among the best-paid teachers in the State of
Washington. The salary table is public. You can find it here
<http://new.lwsd.org/uploaded/Website/Employment/PDFs/LWEA-2017-18-Salary-Summary.pdf>. The top figure for base
salary is $64,704. I'm guessing that's the district superintendent rather than a classroom teacher.

Note that the Department of Housing and Urban Development says that $72,000 is considered a "low income" salary for a
family of four in King County in 2017.

Regards,

Jonathan Shapiro