Interesting People mailing list archives

Re What Happened To All The Teachers?

From: "Dave Farber" <farber () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 13:50:02 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

Date: August 25, 2017 at 1:25:59 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber IP <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] What Happened To All The Teachers?

Hi Dave,

Please withhold my name from this message. If I choose to re-enter the public education sector, I'd prefer not to
have this attached to my name.

As much as I'm sure your readers might like to attribute these trends to one of the last three presidential
administrations, depending on their political inclinations, I'd like to point out that this is not simply a US
phenomenon.

I've seen plenty of commentary on the No Child Left Behind Act, and I'd counsel anyone who wants to jump to blame the
Act that it is merely a symptom of global problems with the educational industry. Even if there were not a US federal
NCLBA, the states may have similar policies.

I have friends who are certified teachers from several other countries, from Canada to the UK to South Africa, and
they've all told similar stories. When I was in school in the 1990s, many of my teachers had been there for several
decades; in the interval, I've heard of high schools in Canada with an average three-year teacher turnover. Students
and parents are chasing certified, experienced teachers out of schools in the UK and elsewhere. Teachers are leaving
public schools and moving to private schools or adult education programs. I bumped into one of my English teachers
years after graduation, to learn that she left the profession in order to home-school her own children.

As an educator, I would be tempted to consider the Lake Wobegon syndrome, where we expect all students to be above
average. I'd look at public policies that don't understand statistics, leading teachers to spend all year playing
catch-up while dropping standards - or to become burned out and apathetic.

We can try to fix it on a state-by-state, country-by-country basis, but until we start investigating the root of the
problem /globally/, we are not going to make any lasting changes.

Best,